Friday, May 18, 2012

Michelle's Mission Complete!


Here's a summary of how Michelle's Zooma Half Marathon went. I'm excited to report that a paleo lifestyle not only helped her achieve her goal, but she excelled at it!! It's amazing what can happen when you take someone with great athletic ability and tweak their diet to promote recovery and reduce inflammation. Way to go Mom :)



Mission accomplished, and then some….  What a great reason to visit Emily during my spring break – to run the Zooma Half Marathon at the way-too-beautiful Hilton Resort outside of Austin.  My goal was to run under 1:55:00, my previous personal best.  Through bobbing blue bonnets and incessantly rolling hills, I managed to run 1:47:21, place fourth in the master’s division (runners over 40), first in my age division (50-54), and 23rd out of 1,036 runners.  Emily coached me through the last .1 of the race, challenging me to pick up the pace and sprint to the finish.  I maintained a paleo (primal) diet throughout my training, and regular weight-training and yoga to supplement at least 35-40 miles of trail/road running a week.  At this point my training and diet are ingrained in my over-all lifestyle, and I feel great.  A side note:  I ran a 10K three weeks ago in Albuquerque in 45:22, which placed me in second place of women, and 11th overall in a field of 108 runners.  I’ll be qualifying for the National Senior Olympics in the 10K in Las Cruces this July in order to compete in the national games the following summer (2013) in Cleveland, Ohio.  Coming up this weekend – the Jemez Mountain Half Marathon – the mother of all trail runs up and down thousands of feet of elevation.  Can’t wait!!  Thanks, Emily. 
--Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment