Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Jessica's Journey Results!!

Jessica started her journey back in January and since then has lost a total of 59lbs, 5 dress sizes, 12% body fat and gained a significant amount of strength and endurance. She competed in this year's Naturally Fit Transformation Competition where she came in 4th place and won a $4000 scholarship to PFTA. Here is her story...


My Journey to Naturally Fit Transformation Contest
July 2012


This transformation did not happen over night. It had been stewing in my head and heart for as long as I have been an adult. The feelings of knowing that I had been a varsity athlete in high school and what I turned into were disappointing. I have spent most of my life as the “bigger girl.” Sometimes it was tough to hear but I managed it because I was still an athlete. Once I hit college, I decided to focus on things other than sports. Of course my party life was a top priority and with that came horrible eating habits and lifestyle choices. I had made gradual changes and commitments to working out but eating properly was impossible. My doctor told me that I was fine now, but in a few years that I would be diabetic.

The best decision I made for my health was walking into Woodward Crossfit last year. I knew I was ready for a challenge, however I was unaware of the positive impact it would have on my life. It’s funny to look back and remember that I would throw up every day during workouts but always come back for more. Unfortunately, my nutrition prohibited me from seeing the results I desired. This concept of the Paleo diet was completely foreign to me. I would do 30 day challenges, lose weight, get excited, then go right back to old habits and gain it all back.

My coach/nutritionist, Emily Talley, and I talked about my goals and entering a figure competition was one of them. I wanted to sign up for this because I knew I needed accountability, and walking on stage in a bikini was motivation. The question was how was I going to be successful. Emily suggested that I set up my support system over the Holidays. I think this was the best strategy to take on this goal. I let everyone know at work, my friends, and family that I was embarking on this journey and to please be on my side. I will say my relationships changed as I altered my habits and relationship with food.

Seven months into my journey, I have lost 52 pounds as well as drop 5 dress sizes!!! I am so proud. This transformation was not just physical, but mental and spiritual as well. When I look in the mirror I see someone that I love, and when I love me the world reciprocates how I feel about myself. My progress has entered other areas of my life. I am more disciplined with my finances and my work ethic is stronger then ever. I am so grateful for this opportunity to prove to myself that I can do anything. This is only the beginning. I plan on competing in a figure competition this fall and hope to become a competitive crossfitter someday. I wake up every morning to the affirmation that I love myself enough to make everyday count in the gym and the kitchen.



2 comments: