Friday, January 20, 2012

Don't like it, CHANGE IT!!

This picture that I found floating around on Facebook is the inspiration for this post. I will apologize in advance if I come off a little harsh here, but I feel it is necessary .

As a trainer and nutrition consultant I come across people who want to loose weight, gain weight, and everything in between. What I notice for most however, is that they want all these great results but don't want to put the work in! Everyone's always looking for a quick fix. Well, news flash sweetheart, THAT DOES NOT EXIST!! To loose weight, keep it off and look great forever takes WORK!
You can work out until you are blue in the face but if your nutrition is not in check you simply will not get the results!!! If you are working out, whether that's running, CrossFit, biking, yoga, etc and wondering why you just can't seem to shed that extra body fat, GET REAL!! It's time to check your nutrition.  Nutrition + Exercise = Success!! It's not one or the other and there is no such thing as "working off those Twinkies"!!
Nutrition can be the hardest part for most. "I don't have time" "I don't know what to eat" "it's too expensive to eat healthy" or  You simply can't quit the beer, pasta, bread, cookies, brownies, cake...must I continue. "I have to give up beer?!" Seriously people!
Before I go any further, ask yourself "how bad do I want it?". If you are happy in your current state, whatever that may be, Great! If not, suck it up and continue reading.
Let's break these down
"I don't have time"--Make time!! Prep your veggies in advance, make large dishes all at once. Example: I will have chicken baking in the oven, while stew is cooking in the crockpot, veggies are steaming and eggs are boiling on the stove top and I'm making beef patties on the Foreman. That's 4 protein options are 3 veggie options. If you have a grill, utilize it and grill all your meat and veggies at once! (I live in an apartment and don't have that option)
"I don't know what to eat"-- Meat, veggies, fruit and fat!
 See my Nutritional Philosophy page for further resources or contact me for a one-on-one and we'll talk it out :)
"It's too expensive to eat healthy"-- Hospital bills and medication are expensive! Cancer is expensive! Diabetes is expensive! Invest in your health! That being said, I will be doing a  post on this topic soon. For now, don't get hung up on organic or grass fed. Just do the best you can with the resources you have and remember that meat and veggies will always be a better option than bagels and pasta!!
Carb-a-vores-- this is an addiction!! Dopamine is released when you eat carb laden foods like breads and pasta. Just stop!! It's the only way to curb the addiction.

If you bitch about your love handles, flabby thighs or beer belly, STOP! Just like the picture says, put that energy into doing something about it. Throw out all your processed food and junk that you know is not helping your situation. Head to the grocery store and stock up on meat, eggs, vegetables and fruit. Don't allow yourself anymore "cheat meals" that turn in to "cheat weekends" then to "cheat weeks"! Make every workout and don't allow yourself excuses to miss them. Get adequate sleep! WORK to make your goals and look good in your bathing suit, fit into your polo shirt, or tighten the belt another notch. Not only will you look amazing, you'll be healthy and feel great too! After accomplishing your goals you can walk around strong and proud that YOU made it happen!
So, again, ask yourself "How bad do I want it" and make the necessary lifestyle changes to make it happen. If you don't make those changes,  then don't bitch!



1 comment:

  1. Oh, my God, girl!! What a way to encourage the masses of young women who don't like what they see in the mirror, or how they feel. The answer is in our bodies, these bone-houses that carry us around. Each of us has an individual shape and structure to hone into a healthy home for our hearts and minds. Healthy and strong are the operative words, and our words will become healthy and strong as we leave weak bodies and whining complaints behind. Not an easy proposition, especially since most of us have assumed the addictive nature that corporate America banks on to keep us filled with their junk. Don't think "diet." Don't think of rewarding yourself with the same junk after you've accomplished a strength or weight goal. Think way of life. Think of living strong - to coin a phrase - so your quality of life extends well into some ripe old age. I'm over 50, and I'm healthier and stronger now than I was when I was 45. Since I changed the way I care for my self, I have not gained or lost more than five pounds. I will never look "amazing," but I carry myself with confidence and energy, engaged in life in a positive way.

    Michelle Holland

    ReplyDelete